First dental visit- What to expect
Before we even look in your child's mouth, he/she will be allowed to relax in our fun waiting area. You may also prepare your child for the visit by emphasizing the positive reasons for seeing a dentist.
A typical first visit includes
- Gentle but thorough examination of all teeth, gums, soft tissues and oral structures
- Thorough evaluation of occlusion (bite): the way teeth fit together
- Digital x-rays (as needed) to diagnose cavities, infections, position/ location of un-erupted teeth
- Cleaning and polishing of your child's teeth, removing any plaque, tartar build-up, and stains
- Demonstration of proper brushing and flossing for you and/ or your child's daily use at home
- Fluoride treatments (when appropriate)
- Discussion of proper use of bottles, Sippy cups, and transitioning to a regular cup
- Discussion of dietary habits in regard to preventing cavities
- Discussion of any habits (thumb-sucking, nail biting etc) that may impact your child's bite
- Finally the dentist will thoroughly discuss all findings with you and address any other concerns you may have.
We would like to partner with you in helping your child remain cavity free, develop and maintain good oral health habits.
Click here to make an appointment.